We are seeking to employ an Animal Health Specialist to lead our animal health activities in Accra, Ghana.
- The Animal Health Specialist is responsible for activities related to strengthening multisectoral integrated surveillance systems for zoonotic diseases ensuring linkages between the animal, human, and environmental sectors.
- This will include strengthening the capacity of the animal health workforce to detect priority infectious diseases and antimicrobial resistance (AMR) all contributing to enhanced surveillance.
- Work will also include supporting efforts to improve antimicrobial use (AMU) and promote antimicrobial stewardship (AMS) specifically in the animal health sector.
- The Animal Health Specialist will be responsible for the collection, assembly, review, and sharing of data to inform efforts to improve disease detection and surveillance systems relating to priority infectious diseases and AMR/AMU/AMS.
- The position will be based in Accra, Ghana. Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide technical assistance (TA) in animal health investigations (e.g., source, antibiotic use, and spread of infection).
- Provide TA to animal health microbiology laboratories to enhance their capacity to detect priority diseases and AMR.
- Support the development or updating of materials to train surveillance staff in the safe collection and transport of specimens from animals to testing laboratories and monitor compliance.
- Conduct supportive supervision, and onsite coaching and mentoring to Veterinary Services Directorate and animal disease diagnosis and AMR/AMU surveillance sites.
- Support the development and updating of tools and SOPs to understand the extent, coverage, and quality of disease detection and surveillance systems, including for AMR and AMU in the animal health sector and support the development of bulletins to report on pathogens detected and AMR profiles.
- Provide TA to design an integrated multisectoral specimen referral system capable of handling specimens from multiple sectors.
- Provide TA for the development of an integrated multisectoral AMR/AMU strategy as it relates to animal health surveillance with the aim of improving AMS in animals. This will also include providing TA for the development of standardized treatment guidelines.
- Provide TA to develop integrated multisectoral interoperable reporting systems and sharing of data between sectors.
- Provide TA to strengthen event-based surveillance systems within the animal health sector and linkages to human outbreaks or potential outbreaks.
- Support the development of communication and educational materials to reduce the risk of zoonotic diseases and AMR and promote AMS within the animal health sector. This will also include materials to improve efforts strategies to ensure a sustainable and safe bush meat trade.
- Identify issues/challenges and develop strategies for effective implementation of related work plan activities.
- Contribute to the preparation of related parts of required reports to FHI 360 and USAID.
- Project Design Implementation:
- Develops strategies and tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components.
- Monitors project deliverables and reports to supervisors.
- Leads technical project activities and sub activities and assists with project implementation.
- May implement components of the technical portions of the project plan.
- Identifies and raises issues to senior technical staff.
- Functions as the technical lead with oversight of project technical administrative and finance compliance, technical deliverables, and team management, (includes projects and consultants).
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- In-depth knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures with providing technical support for research studies.
- Knowledge of the GHS field in general and comprehensive working knowledge of zoonotic disease detection and AMR/AMU surveillance in animals. Should be skilled in facilitation, coordination, report writing and have knack for numbers.
- Development of scope of work and deliverables for partners, consultants, etc.
- Broader knowledge of quality standards
- Proficiency with database management software and on-line search tools required.
- Has sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Articulate, professional, and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent and demonstrated project management skills.
- Ability to influence and collaborate with others.
- Demonstrated proficiency with using Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors, and prepare reports.
- Ability to solve problems and implement corrective action as needed.
- Demonstrated experience in implementation of field-based surveillance and laboratory detection in animals.
- Strong expertise in GHS technical and programmatic areas.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of moderate to complex scope that require review of various factors.
- Exercises good judgment with selecting methods and techniques to determine appropriate action.
- Decisions may cause delays and affect a work unit or area within a department.
- Identifies and raises issues to senior technical staff.
- Networks with key internal and external personnel.
- Decision may cause delays or failure to achieve results that impact departmental goals.
- Determines methods and procedures on new projects and assignments.
- Serves as team lead and may mentor other lower-level personnel.
- Reports to the Project Director.
Qualification Required & Experience
- Master’s degree in animal health, animal science, animal production, veterinary technology, or a related area. Registered veterinarian or veterinary technologist is preferred.
- Project Management (PM) Certification preferred.
- At least 6+ years of experience working in national/regional animal health infectious disease detection and surveillance.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private organization.
How To Apply: Animal Health Specialist at FHI 360 Ghana
To submit your application, click on the link below and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Closing Date: 21 October, 2023
Job & Scholarship Alert
Get daily Job and Scholarship updates on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link above.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE