The Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities stream is a one-of-a-kind immigration route that provides a fantastic opportunity for those seeking Permanent Residency (PR) in Canada. It’s especially appealing because it doesn’t require a job offer, and qualified individuals receive invitations directly from their Express Entry profiles.
Overview of Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities Stream
The Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities stream selects candidates in the federal Express Entry system who meet provincial labour market needs to apply for nomination. Only candidates who receive a Letter of Interest from the Nova Scotia Office of Immigration may apply.
Candidates interested in applying under this stream must have a valid federal Express Entry profile under one of the three federal economic immigration programs:
- Federal Skilled Worker (FSW);
- Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSTC); and
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC).
Eligibility of the Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities stream
To apply you must:
- receive a Letter of Interest from the Nova Scotia Nominee Program within the Express Entry system;
- submit your application within 30 calendar days of the date on which your letter of interest was issued;
- meet the minimum work experience requirements of the Express Entry stream for which you have qualified;
- demonstrate sufficient funds to successfully establish yourself and your family in Nova Scotia and to pay your immigration costs and travel expenses;
- have legal status in your current country of residence;
- meet eligibility criteria in place at the time you are issued a Letter of Interest; and
- have a valid Express Entry number and meet all IRCC criteria for the Express Entry pool.
What you need to know before you apply
You must apply to 2 levels of government: federal and provincial
Level 1: Canada (federal)
First, create an Express Entry profile in IRCC’s online Express Entry system. After you create your profile, you will get an Express Entry profile number. You need this number to apply to the Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities stream. You will continue to use the Express Entry online system during the application process.
In your Express Entry profile, you must state that you are interested in moving to Nova Scotia.
After you have been nominated to the Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities stream, you will have to apply for permanent resident status with the Federal Government of Canada.
You must pay all the required Government of Canada immigration fees when you submit your file to IRCC. For current fees, see the fee list on the IRCC website.
Level 2: Nova Scotia (provincial)
If it is found that you meet the criteria for a particular labour market priority, a Letter of Interest will be sent to you through the Express Entry online system.
Once you receive the Letter of Interest, you have 30 calendar days to apply to the Nova Scotia Labour Market Priority stream through our online service. If you are successful, a nomination certificate will be sent to you.
Important! Your application will be refused if you submit it later than 30 calendar days after you received your Letter of Interest.
There is no application fee for the NSNP, but there may be costs related to
your application. For example,
- translation costs if your required documents are in neither English
- fees charged by a representative should you choose to hire one
- fees for English or French language testing if this is required
How To Apply For The Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities Stream
The application process
1. Create an Express Entry profile
Go to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Express Entry website and follow the steps to create an Express Entry profile. After you create your profile, you will get an Express Entry profile number. You will need this number to complete your application. You will continue to use the Express Entry online system during the application process.
2. Look for a Letter of Interest in the Express Entry online system You must have a Letter of Interest from us (NSOI) to apply to the Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities stream.
3. Apply to the Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities stream
You must apply to this stream within 30 calendar days of receiving a Letter of Interest from us. To apply:
- Submit your application through our online service.
- Include all documents listed in the section of this guide titled Gather the documents you need.
- If you currently live in another Canadian province, explain why you would leave this province and come to Nova Scotia.
Important! Be sure to include documents showing that you meet the criteria for the draw you have been invited to apply to. These documents change depending on the draw. They are posted on our website.
4. You will either be nominated or refused
If you are nominated
If we approve your application, we will send you a letter through the Express Entry online system telling you of your nomination. We will also email this information and your nomination certificate to you or your representative. You must accept our nomination within 30 calendar days of receiving it. You do this through the Express Entry online
The nomination certificate expires 6 months after the date it was issued. You must apply to IRCC for permanent residence within this 6-month period
If we decide to refuse your application
We will refuse your application if you do NOT meet the criteria for the Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities stream. We will NOT refuse you right away.
Instead, we will email you or your representative a letter explaining our concerns or requesting further information. You have 10 business days to submit new information for us to consider. After 10 business days we will re-assess your application, including the new
information. We will then make our final decision and email it to you or
We may extend this 10-day time limit in rare circumstances if you request it. For example, we may extend it if you were in hospital or had a death in the family.
If we refuse your application
We will notify you or your representative by email. This decision is final.
There is no appeal process.
We may extend your nomination
You can ask us to extend your nomination period beyond 6 months. This will give you more time to apply to IRCC for your permanent resident visa. You must provide evidence as to why you need the extension and include any supporting documents we ask for. We allow you only one such extension.
This extension will expire 6 months after the original expiry date. We do NOT grant extensions after one year from the original nomination date. After one year, you will have
to re-apply to the program.
5. Accept our nomination
You must accept our nomination within 30 calendar days of receiving it. You do this through the Express Entry online system.
6. Apply to IRCC for permanent residence
After you accept our nomination in the Express Entry online system, IRCC will send you an invitation to apply for a permanent resident visa. Find out more about the Express Entry system on IRCC’s Immigrate through the Express Entry website.
Job & Scholarship Alert
Get daily Job and Scholarship updates on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link above.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE