The services of a Senior Forestry Officer at Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). The position is located in the Regional Office for Africa (RAF) in Accra, Ghana.
- Plans, manages, or leads highly specialized or multi-disciplinary teams, leads, coordinates, and/or participates in regional committees, project teams, and working groups, and/or provides technical leadership/secretariat services on technical networks and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
- Analyses global and country specific requirements and relevant technical issues to provide critical input into the FAO Strategic Framework, Programme of Work, work plans and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies;
- Implements and monitors programmes of work involving the development of the approach, evidence based strategies, and related tools, methodologies and the supporting system/database, monitoring and reporting frameworks;
- Conducts, designs and oversees research and analysis activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovation, technical reports, publications and/or on-going programme development as well as the provision of technical and/or policy advisory services;
- Provides technical and policy advice to Members and technical support to Decentralized Offices in the development and implementation of their programmes;
- Leads and/or collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to, and ensures the quality/effectiveness of, capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within Members such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning, on-line tools;
- Represents the Organization at international meetings and conferences, identifies and implements strategic partnerships, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue and develops and negotiates effective working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national stakeholders;
- Leads and/or participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
- Provides vision and strategic thinking on climate action and sustainable natural resources management for the development and implementation of the work programme in Africa, with a focus on environment and natural resources issues, including forestry, biodiversity, climate change and desertification;
- Provides technical expertise on strategies and approaches as well as guidance on technologies and innovations for developing and implementing solutions on sustainable forest management, in particular on protection, restoration and sustainable use of forests and trees with a view to building resilient livelihoods, ending poverty and ensuring food security and nutrition in the context of a changing climate;
- Provides leadership for RAF’s programme of work on scaling up climate smart agriculture, including planning, implementation, delivery, monitoring and reporting, as well as leading highly specialized and multistakeholder teams on forestry, agroforestry and agriculture projects and programmes;
- Works with other Thematic Regional Priority Leaders and Programme Managers as well as with technical Offices and Divisions at headquarters, Programme Priority Areas and other relevant FAO units to coordinate delivery of activities related to the FAO Africa Regional Thematic Priority on climate action and sustainable natural resources management;
- Provides technical support and policy advice to Members in the implementation of FAO’s regional initiatives, thematic and programme priorities and activities in the formulation and implementation of activities under the UN Cooperation Framework;
- Coordinates FAO’s technical inputs and represents FAO Africa on scaling up climate smart agriculture and promotion of sustainable forest management in Africa in engagements with governments, continental organizations, such as the African Union Commission, the Regional Economic Commissions, inter-agency initiatives, development finance institutions, development partners and national and regional stakeholders;
- Leads RAF resource mobilization and partnership activities on scaling up climate smart agriculture, sustainable forest management and related work;
- Leads secretariat services for and organizes the sessions of the FAO Statutory Body “The African Forestry and Wildlife Commission (AFWC)”and coordinates the implementation of recommendations and follow-up activities;
- Performs other related duties as required.
Candidates Will Be Assessed Against The Following:
- Advanced university degree in forest resources management or a related field (forestry, forest economics, forest engineering or other fields related to sustainable natural resources management).
- Ten years of relevant experience in forest resources management, forest conservation management, or related fields such as community-based natural resources or landscape management, biodiversity or wildlife management or climate smart agriculture in developing countries.
- Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of another official FAO language (French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic or Chinese).
Competencies: Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships 2022/2023
- Results Focus
- Leading, Engaging and Empowering
- Partnering and Advocating
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Strategic Thinking
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions
- Extent and relevance of experience or knowledge of regional and global forestry issues and/or climate change and/or biodiversity including wildlife management.
- Extent and relevance of experience in sustainable forestry or agroforestry production and related community development.
- Demonstrated results-based management capabilities with an ability to manage programmes, budgets and human resources efficiently under shifting priorities.
- Extent and relevance of experience in different countries and regions, especially in developing countries and countries in transition
- Ability to mobilize resources.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in planning and implementation of programmes or projects related to forestry, agriculture or natural resources management.
- Extent and relevance of experience in organizing international meetings, seminars and training courses.
How To Apply – Senior Forestry Officer at Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
Closing Date: 20th June, 2022
Job & Scholarship Alert
Get daily Job and Scholarship updates on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link above.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE