UMA is seeking to employ qualified and experienced persons to fill the position of Underground Blastman. These are Obuasi-based Fixed Term positions with a competitive work roster at its operations in Obuasi. The remuneration package includes an attractive salary and performance-based incentive payments for the right candidates.
The positions will provide you with an excellent opportunity to further develop your career in underground mechanised mining while working alongside experienced industry professionals in a safe, dynamic and outcome-focused environment.
Reporting to the Mine Foreman, you will be responsible for the supervision of the overall day to day performance, co-ordination, management, and maintenance of the specified mining shift to assist in obtaining maximum productivity, efficiency, quality, service and profitability for UMA while upholding all aspects of compliance and standards and adhering to budget and prescribed criteria.
Train the work force in the use of modern mining techniques and supervise them to achieve planned targets for development and production within budgeted costs.
- Use of a variety of explosives and initiating systems, depending on drill pattern, rock type and hole dimension;
- Handle and transport explosive material in a safe manner according to procedures
- Charge up and fire production headings or stopes;
- Ensure that all statutory requirements associated with the mining operation are completed in compliance with the Mining Act and related regulations of the Republic of Ghana;
- Ensure working area is safe for personnel and equipment to perform duties;
- Liaise with Geologist, Engineers and Shift Supervisors to optimize blast designs;
- Prepping Stope Blast Holes and produce an accurate Stope Prep plan;
- Demonstrate full understanding of Charge Plans and Charge Stopes according to plan.
Required Skills or Experience
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in Production charging;
- Experience with ICON Charging and Logging
- Experience charging with both Emulsion and Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil (Anfo)
- Demonstrate understanding and ability to conduct density testing of emulsion
- Experience in operating a Norment Charmec LC 605 charging unit is an added advantage;
- Sound mechanical knowledge of both the Normet and Hypercharge Unit is added advantage;
- Must possess a valid Ghanaian driving and operating licenses (C & E Classes) and can drive underground.
- Must be conversant with the Mining Act and related regulations of the Republic of Ghana.
- Previous experience working in Hard Rock Underground Mines (with International Underground Mining experience);
- Must possess Equipment Operator’s certification from the Minerals Commission
- Flexible and willingness to assist with varied tasks and responsibilities
- Previously employed in an underground charge-up role
- A strong focus toward safety and hazard identification.
- Must demonstrate strong work ethics and be able to communicate courteously with co-workers.
How To Apply For The Underground Blastman at Underground Mining Alliance Ltd
Eligible candidates will be selected after the interview process and evaluated for suitability in terms of behavioural characteristics, organisational fit, capability to work with the relevant complexity of work and ability to establish and maintain a positive and engaging culture with all stakeholders.
When applying, please follow the guidelines below to maximize the success of your application:
- Limit your Curriculum Vitae (CV) to four (4) pages
- Your CV must include demographic detail, qualifications, work experience and a minimum of two referees
- List your most recent positions first.
- Include copies of relevant, original certificates and academic records
Applications, together with detailed curriculum vitae and proof of qualifications, should be submitted by the deadline date to email@example.com with the Job Position as the Subject Matter before or on 15th September 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted, and all applications should be sent via the above-stated e-mail address. Hand-delivered applications will not be considered.
About Underground Mining Alliance Ltd.
Underground Mining Alliance Ltd. (“UMA”) is a Joint Venture between African Underground Mining Services Limited (AUMS) and Rocksure International carrying out underground development and production works for the AngloGold Ashanti (Obuasi) Mine.