This article will give you all you need to know about UK student visa applications, including the required documents to submit, financial evidence (a bank statement), and processing time.
You can apply for a student visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and have been offered a place on a course by a licenced student sponsor.
If you’re 16 or 17 and you want to study at an independent school in the UK, you may be eligible for a child student visa instead.
This visa has replaced the Tier 4 (General) student visa.
What Are the Required Documents for a UK Student Visa Application?
To apply for a student visa to the United Kingdom, you must submit the following documents:
- UK visa application form: Depending on the sort of UK visa you are asking for, you may need to fill out the form online at the Visa4UK website or manually.
- CAS Letter: You will need a certificate of acceptance for studies (CAS) from your chosen place of study before you make an application. The CAS letter is mostly issued after payment of the tuition fee deposit stated on an unconditional admission offer letter.
- Two photographs: These photographs in colour must have been taken within the last six months.
Your Valid Passport: It must be valid for a minimum of three more months after the day you intend to depart the UK. Additionally, it must have a minimum of one blank page for the visa.
- Proof you have the financial means to cover the living costs while in the UK: Your bank statements should show that you have had the required maintenance funds in your bank account for at least 28 days prior to paying your student visa fee online.
- Tuberculosis Test Results: If you plan to stay in the UK for more than six months, including those who are seeking a Tier 4 student visa, you must get a TB test. You will need a TB certificate from an approved TB test clinic. This TB certificate must be submitted with your UK visa application. The TB test should be completed long before you submit your visa application. TB certificates are valid for six months after they are issued.
- Biometric information: You must provide your biometric data if you are requesting a visa that allows you to remain in the UK for longer than six months. You must do this in addition to submitting your fingerprints and a digital photo that was taken at an appropriate application centre.
- Paid UK visa fees: You must turn in the receipt attesting to your payment of the necessary visa fee.
- Certified translations of any document that is not in either English or Welsh.
Financial Requirements for UK student visa applications
You must be able to support yourself financially while taking the course and living in the UK. Your financial needs will vary depending on your situation and the type of funding you’re seeking.
You need enough money to cover the cost of your education for up to nine months throughout an academic year. Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) will indicate how much you must pay.
You do not have to show that you have this money for your visa application if you have been in the UK for at least a year on a valid visa.
You’ll need to show you have enough money to support yourself unless you’ve been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months on the date of your application.
How much money you need depends on where you will be studying.
You will need either:
- £1,334 per month (for up to 9 months) for courses in London. For example, if your course lasts for 12 months then you would need to show £1,334 x 9 months, in total £12,006 GBP. NOTE: London means the City of London and the 32 London boroughs.
- £1,023 per month (for up to 9 months) for courses outside London: For example, if your course lasts for 12 months then you would need to show £1,023 x 9 months, in total £9,207 GBP
You must have the total amount of money for your unpaid course fees + living costs for a period of 28 consecutive full days from the date of the closing balance on the bank account.
You May Also Like This:
Acceptable financial evidence
You can use one or more of the following documents as financial evidence:
- Bank statement(s) in your name, or a parent’s or guardian’s name
- Bank letter in your name or a parent’s or guardian’s name
- Official financial sponsorship (from a government, an international company, an international organisation, or a university).
- A student loan provided by your government or part of an academic or education loan scheme. For example, a US Federal Loan.
How Much Does a UK Student Route Visa Cost?
Applying for this visa will cost you £348. In the case that there are any dependents, an additional £348 per person is due.
Students will also be required to pay a £470 annual healthcare premium in addition to the visa cost. The student must pay £940, for instance, for a 2-year visa. It is also referred to as Immigration Health Surcharge(IHS).
If the student withdraws their application or their visa application gets refused, the money will be refunded.
What Is The Cost Of the Student Route Visa?
How long does it take to get a UK Student Visa?
UK Visas and Immigration aims to process 90% of non-settlement visas within 15 working days from submission at a visa application centre.
You should expect your visa to be processed within 15 working days. If you need it quicker, you can choose the 3-5-day priority visa service. Eligible applicants will have their visa decision returned within 5 working days. There is also a 24-hour Super Priority Service.
Documents to Present at the UK Port of Entry
At the UK port of entry, you will need to show some documents to the border control police.
If you are an EU/EEA national, you can use the EU/EEA channel to get your documents checked. You only need your ID or passport. Adults must accompany children from the age of 17 and under.
Non- EU/EEA nationals need the following documents when they show up at the UK port of entry:
- Valid Passport.
- Landing Card. You will get this from your carrier. You need to fill it in before your reach the border control.
- Visa (if applicable).
Job & Scholarship Alert
Get daily Job and Scholarship updates on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link above.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE