Tetra Tech is looking to hire a community Agent to facilitate the implementation of all GFRA site-level activities
BACKGROUND OF THE PROJECT
- The Ghana Fisheries Recovery Activity (GFRA) aims to prevent the collapse of the small pelagic fishery sector in Ghana while improving the supplemental livelihoods, resilience, and food security.
- GFRA seeks to improve supplemental livelihoods and resilience measures for fishing communities, particularly for women and youth; facilitate private sector engagement and market linkages in the fishing sector; strengthen government capacity in policy making, regulation, and enforcement; strengthen improved science and research, including data for policy and management decisions; and empower key stakeholders to effect change.
- The Community Field Agent will work closely with Technical Team Leads, grantees, and other members of the GFRA team to identify and support the implementation of its site level activities.
This will be accomplished through five strategic approaches:
Objective 1: Aligning fisheries capacity with ecological carrying capacity of the small pelagic fisheries while enhancing the socio-economic well-being and resilience of artisanal fisherfolk.
Objective 2: Increasing the quality and value of artisanal fish products to maintain household income and enhance availability of nutritious foods for local and regional markets.
Objective 3: Strengthening transparency, accountability, and co-management in governance practices for fisheries policymaking, regulation, and enforcement.
Objective 4: Strengthening constituencies to promote and implement sustainable fisheries management.
Objective 5: Improving use of science and research for policy and management decisions.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The Community Agent will play a major role in facilitating the implementation of all GFRA site level activities. Specifically, he/she will:
- Work with the Livelihood team to promote GFRA’s livelihood program to youth in assigned project communities.
- Support the livelihood team to register youth onto the livelihood program.
- Support the livelihood team to monitor livelihood beneficiaries in training and report issues for further action.
- Support with the setup and monitoring of Village Savings and Loans Association.
- Support the establishment and monitor the operations of the Landing Beach Enforcement Committees (LaBECS) in the four coastal regions.
- Mobilize fish processors for training to be conducted by the post-harvest team.
- Support the MCS team to implement anti- Illegal, Unreported, and Unregulated (IUU) activities in fishing communities.
- Support fisheries communities to hold dialogues and implement local actions against Child Labor and Trafficking (CLaT) and Gender Based Violence (GBV), including the set-up and functioning of Community Support Groups
- Work with grantees and community partners to implement site level Social and Behavior Change Communications activities on GBV and CLaT
- Monitor and document changes, lessons, and challenges in addressing local vulnerabilities to GBV and CLaT
GFRA works in the following Sites among others:
- Half Assini
- Apam and its environs
Required Skills or Experience
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements
- Minimum of a High School diploma/BECE or equivalent
- The candidate(s) must have a strong understanding of fishing communities.
- Must have good interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to communicate well.
- Must be able to read and write basic English.
- Must be able to mobilize people in the community.
- Must be 18 years and above.
- Must live in any of the Communities listed above.
Languages: Basic level in English and/or any of the local languages spoken where they reside.
Number of positions available (10)
How To Apply For The Community Agent Position At Tetra Tech
Kindly apply through GFRA.Applications@tetratech.com with a cover letter and current curriculum vitae (CV).
The subject of the email should be Community Agent. You may also drop your CV at the Local Community Radio office where you heard this announcement.
- Deadline July 21, 2023
- Applicants living in the coastal areas of Ghana are encouraged to apply.
Job & Scholarship Alert
Get daily Job and Scholarship updates on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link above.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE