Finland is one of Europe’s international hubs with the quickest rate of growth. Over 500 degree programmes with English instruction are offered by Finnish higher education institutions. It is home to some of the top universities in the world and provides graduates with a wide range of innovative and exciting job opportunities.
Finland requires students who come to study in Finland to obtain a residency permit. If you are travelling to Finland for studies that will last more than 90 days, you will need to apply for a study permit.
In our previous article, we covered all of the details for applying for Finland Government Scholarships in 2024.
As a result, it is vital to grasp the Finland Student Visa Process, as you would need a visa after receiving an acceptance offer. This article will provide a step-by-step guide to applying for a Finland student visa.
Who is eligible to apply for a study permit in Finland?
- The Finland Residence Permit for Studies is for students from outside the EU Union who are coming to Finland for higher education.
- If you have been accepted as a student at a Finnish educational institution, you will be issued a residence permit.
- A university, a university of applied sciences, a general upper secondary school, or a vocational education institution may be used as the educational institution.
Types of Finland Student Residence Permits
The residence permit can be an A or a B permit.
- If you are coming to pursue a higher education degree such as a bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD, you will be issued an A Permit.
Benefits of A Permit
- You can apply for a permanent residence permit when you have graduated and lived in Finland with an A permit for four years.
- Your family members can be granted an A permit.
- You can complete some of your studies in another EU Member State.
2. You will be issued a B permit if your degree is not a higher education degree.
Benefits of B Permit
- Your family members can be granted a B permit.
- Your permit does not give you the right to study in any other EU Member State.
- You can change the B permit to the A permit.
Requirements for Finland Residence Permit for Studies
- You must be financially self-sufficient in Finland for the duration of your study. Every month, you must have at least 560 EUR in your bank account.
- You must be able to present proof of payment in your bank account for how you intend to fund your stay in Finland during your first year of education.
- When you submit your application, you must have 6,720 euros in your bank account.
- If you have a scholarship or your educational institution will pay for your living expenses in Finland, you do not need to have 560 euros available each month.
- Health Insurance: As a student, you must be able to bear the costs of medical treatment if you become ill in Finland. To obtain a residency permit, you must have private insurance that covers your medical and pharmaceutical expenses.
Documents required for Finland Student Visa Application
- A valid passport
- Passport Photo
- Colour copy of the passport page containing your personal data
- Acceptance letter from Finland Educational Institute.
- Bank statement covering the past three months
- Insurance Certificate
- Earlier degree certificates
- Potential certificates of employment if you have done any work previously.
Step-by-Step Guide for Finland Student Visa Application Process
1. Fill out the online application and add documents.
You can fill out the application online for the study residence permit at Enter Finland. The fee for an online application is lower than for a paper application.
2. Pay the processing fee.
- If you apply for a residence permit online in Finland, you need to pay a fee online.
- If you apply for a residence permit with a paper application, you need to pay the processing fee when you visit a Finnish embassy.
- The cost of a study-related Finland residence permit is 350 euros.
3. Prove Your Identity
Book an appointment at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). You can also prove your identity at a VFS Global application centre.
4. Wait for the decision.
If you apply online, you will receive a notification by email about the progress.
5. Wait for the residence permit.
If your application is approved, you will receive a positive response to your residence permit.
- Processing Time: If it’s your first time applying for a Finland residence permit for studies, the processing time for electronic applications is projected to be two months.
- For Finland Residence permit for studies: https://migri.fi/en/residence-permit-application-for-studies
- Guide for students: https://migri.fi/en/guide-for-students
Job & Scholarship Alert
Get daily Job and Scholarship updates on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link above.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE