The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme is calling for applications for doctoral programmes in 2024/2025.
Mission of the Programme
The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme was launched in 2013 by the Hungarian Government with the aim of providing opportunities for international students to pursue their higher education studies in Hungary. The programme’s core mission is to increase the number of international students in Hungary and encourage Hungarian higher education institutions to attract top international students.
The number of Stipendium Hungaricum applicants and awardees is continuously increasing, as well as the number of available scholarship places. In 2023, more than 57,000 applications were received and nearly 4500 scholarships were awarded, showing that since its launch, the Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship has become a programme of excellence.
Stipendium Hungaricum scholarships are available for bachelor’s, master’s, one-tier master’s, doctoral, non-degree programmes (preparatory courses) and postgraduate specialist training courses.
Please note that this Call for Application is for doctoral programmes only. Please find here the Call for Applications for bachelor’s, master’s, one-tier master’s, non-degree programmes and postgraduate specialist training courses.
Provisions Covered by the Scholarship
- Tuition-free education; exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend: doctoral level: according to the current Hungarian legislation, the monthly amount of scholarship is HUF 140,000 (cca EUR1 365 for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180,000 (cca EUR 470) for the second phase (4 semesters) – for 12 months a year, until completion of studies. Please see details in section 1.2.1.
- Accommodation contribution: free dormitory place (depending on institutional capacity) or a contribution of HUF 40,000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period (Please note that if the student does not live in the dormitory, then the HUF 40,000/month is a contribution to that rental costs, and in bigger cities – especially in the capital city – this contribution would not cover the full amount of rental costs.)
- Medical insurance: health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act LXXX of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65,000 (cca EUR 170) a year/person.
Eligible Sending Partners
The Stipendium Hungaricum Programme is based on effective bilateral educational cooperation agreements between the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade or its legal predecessor as regards the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme, the Ministry of Human Capacities, and the partner’s Ministry responsible for higher education. Applications will be considered eligible only if the responsible authorities of the Sending Partner nominate the applicant.
Some doctoral schools request students applying for their doctoral programmes to have a supervisor at the Host Institution, who, in the case of the successful application process, will undertake the supervising of the student’s doctoral education and research activities within the frameworks of the doctoral programme chosen by the applicant. In case it is required by the doctoral programme you are applying for, a statement of acceptance issued by the supervisor must be attached to the application.
Available Host Institutions and Study Programmes
At doctoral level, 21 Hungarian higher education institutions are engaged in the Stipendium
Hungaricum Programme for the 2023/2024 academic year, with more than 200 study programmes, taught mainly in English; further programmes taught in Hungarian are also available for applicants with suitable proficiency.
The available study programmes and Host Institutions are available in the online application system (https://apply.stipendiumhungaricum.hu/). Please note that you can only apply for these study programmes within the frameworks of the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme.
Applicants are eligible to apply only for those scholarship types and study fields that are determined in the educational cooperation programmes in effect between Hungary and the specific Sending Partner. Please see the full list of available study fields regarding your sending country here: https://stipendiumhungaricum.hu/partners/
Language of Study Programmes
Applicants are eligible to apply only if they meet the minimum language criteria set by their chosen Host Institution. Please visit the online application system (https://apply.stipendiumhungaricum.hu/) to see the exact language criteria for each study programme.
Basic Application Documents
- Online application form
- Motivation Letter
- Proof of language proficiency and translations in the language of the selected study programme or Hungarian
- School certificates and their translations in the language of the selected study programme or Hungarian
- Research Plan
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of the Supervisor (if required by the proposed Doctoral School
- Transcript of Records and its translations in the language of the selected study programme or Hungarian
- Copy of Identification Document
- Acceptance of Statement for Application in the Online System
- Medical Certificate
- How to Apply for Scholarships: Complete Guide with Expert Advice
How To Apply For The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme 2024/2025: Doctoral programmes
The online application system can be reached here: apply.stipendiumhungaricum.hu
The deadline for submitting the complete application: 15 January 2024 2 p.m. (Central European Time)
Job & Scholarship Alert
Get daily Job and Scholarship updates on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link above.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE