The 2022 Rhodes Scholarships for West African Students are now open for eligible West African students willing to study on a fully-funded scholarship at the University of Oxford, UK.
About The Rhodes Scholarships for West African Students
Young leaders of exceptional intellect and character who are inspired to engage with global concerns, committed to serving others, and show promise of becoming value-driven, principled leaders for the world’s future are eligible for Rhodes Scholarships.
The Scholarship for West Africa was announced in 2017 and the first Scholar arrived in October 2018. There had previously been Scholarships for certain countries within this grouping, including Nigeria and Ghana.
In conjunction with the Oxford-Morland-West Africa Graduate Scholarship
There are 2 Rhodes Scholarships available each year for West Africa, which includes Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the island of Saint Helena, Senegal, Sierra Leone, São Tomé and Principe and Togo.
- Host Country: UK
- Study Abroad: Study in UK
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: West African Countries
- Scholarship Alerts: To subscribe for Scholarship Alerts on Whatsapp, Click here
ALSO CHECK: Requirements to get a UK VISA-2022/2023
Scholarship Requirements – 2022 Rhodes Scholarships for West African Students
You must meet the following criteria to be considered for a Rhodes Scholarship:
- Citizenship/nationality: You must be a citizen of one of the nations listed below:
Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Nigeria, Saint Helena, Senegal, Sierra Leone, So Tomé and Principe, and Togo.
- Education/residency: You must have spent at least five of the previous 10 years in one or more of the countries listed above.
Academic achievement: You must have earned, or will complete, an undergraduate degree (usually a Bachelor’s degree) with an academic background and grade that meets or exceeds the specific entry requirements of your selected full-time course at the University of Oxford before July 2023.
- Given the high level of international competition for spaces at the University of Oxford, candidates with a First Class Honours Degree or equivalent, or a GPA of 3.70/4.0 or higher, will have a better chance of being accepted.
d. English language: You must have a sufficiently high level of English to meet the University of Oxford’s English language proficiency criteria (at the Higher Level specified).
- If you are not successful in your initial application for a Rhodes Scholarship, you may only apply once again (and in the same constituency), provided you meet the eligibility requirements.
Scholarship Duration – 2022 Rhodes Scholarships for West African Students
The scholarship has a two-year basic term, subject to satisfactory academic achievement and personal conduct at all times.
Scholarship Benefits – 2022 Rhodes Scholarships for West African Students
A Rhodes Scholarship covers:
- all University and College fees,
- a living stipend (£17,310 per annum in 2021-22),
- a settling in allowance,
- health insurance, visa, and
- two economy class flights to and from the United Kingdom at the start and completion of study in Oxford.
How To Apply – 2022 Rhodes Scholarships for West African Students
Please visit the page for your constituency by clicking the ‘Click here to Apply’ button below.
You’ll find all of the precise information you’ll need to apply here, as well as a link to the application form! Before applying, please read all of the information carefully to verify that you understand all of the requirements.
More information about the Rhodes scholarship can be found here.
Application Closing Date: 23:59 GMT 15 September 2022
Job & Scholarship Alert
Get daily Job and Scholarship updates on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link above.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE