East West Seed has a new job opening for a Product Development Officer.
- Reporting line: Business Development Manager-Ghana
Job overview and responsibilities
The Product Development function is a technical role with a purpose of keeping on track the company’s product portfolio to remain of competitive in the market through testing new varieties, selecting superior ones and recommending for commercialization in Ghana.
PD-oﬃcer, will be responsible for implementing trials planed through planting, management and gathering data to support the variety advancement. He/She is expected to use a scientiﬁc approach to execute the trial’s program.
Among other responsibilities including relationship building and coordination with on-ground teams of East West Seed commercial team, East west Knowledge Transfer (EWS-KT) and Meridian Seeds and Nurseries Gh. LTD (MSN).
Key deliverables :
- Conduct market surveys and establish facts on seasons, key crops and varieties, key agronomic challenges encountered by farmers and consumer preferences.
- Implement crop trials as per planned target using a scientiﬁc based approach on planting, management and evaluation.
- Ensure all planted trials are planted following recommended spacing and other good agronomic practices based on trial objective.
- Timely collect correct data as per ﬁeld book provided and submit them timely.
- Requesting new test hybrids as well and ensure seed for new products is available for market test trials.
- Keep inventory of all available seeds for trials and report once required.
- Submit advancement proposal of new products on time.
- Identify the market opportunity and initiate product testing.
- Provide time to time trials updates as required
- Play important roles in products and agronomic training for sales and marketing team.
- Oﬀer technical recommendation to support promotion programs.
- Playing active role in creating farmer’s communication programs and oﬀering technical details which support eﬀective communication of product competitive traits.
- Support advancement of the breeding genetic pool by actively collecting and submitting germplasm of various crops with traits of interest.
- Participate in major ﬁeld day to collect product feedback and oﬀer technical support as required.
- Prepare annual PD report which keeps records of all PD trials established by crop, analysed data and key decisions made on an annual basis.
- Provide weekly and monthly activity calendar and report its execution respectively
Required Skills or Experience
- Academic Degree in agriculture/ applied agricultural Extension / Horticulture / Agronomy or any relevant crop science-related disciplines from a recognized institution.
- Minimum 3 years experience in crop protection, crop science, or soil science from a similar or related industry.
Skills and abilities
- Driving skills and holder of a valid driving licence
- With experience and/or exposure in new product development operations
- Has worked in a multicultural environment
- Has an innovative mindset.
- Have good listening, communication and observation skills
- Demonstrates good computer skills, competent in MS Oﬃce and Google Workspace.
- Willingness for extensive working travel in farming communities.
- Willingness to work independently with minimum supervision
- Willingness to work extra hours during weekends and holidays, depends on situations.
- Exposure to research in agriculture industry is an added advantage.
Latest Job Recruitment At Unilever
Latest Job Vacancy At Hollard Insurance
How To Apply For The Product Development Officer Position at East West Seed
- Deadline:30th June 2023.
- We thank you for your interest.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
About East West Seed
East West Seed is a vegetable seed company with 40 years of experience in breeding, production and marketing of improved vegetable seeds. It was founded by a Dutch seeds man and the World Food Prize Laureate 2019, Simon N. Groot, in 1982.
EWS successfully introduced market-oriented plant breeding, with focusing on developing improved vegetable varieties adapted to local markets in tropical growing conditions. It is now among the 10 largest seed companies in the world.
EWS 5-years Strategy (2022-2027) aims, among other things, to expand its market footprints in new markets, including Africa. Ghana is among strategic countries to realize success of the EWS 5-years strategy. This resulting a need to set up a marketing team with a focus on Sales promotion in Ghana.
Job & Scholarship Alert
Get daily Job and Scholarship updates on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link above.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE