World University Service of Canada (WUSC) is seeking to hire a Finance Officer to provide strong support in Financial Management for the implementation of the NBS Project and other WUSC projects in Ghana.
- ELIGIBILITY: Local National, must be legally entitled to work in Ghana
- REPORTS TO: NBS Project Regional Finance Manager
- CONTRACT TERM: 2 years
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: Position Open Until Filled
- EXPECTED START DATE: July 20, 2023
The NBS Project
- The overall focus of the Nature-based Solutions (NBS) in the Guinean Forests of West Africa (NBS West Africa) project will be on engaging with a wide range of stakeholders to develop local and regional capacity to use evidence and engage with women and marginalized groups to prioritize locally relevant NBS to climate change adaptation.
- It will take a systems approach to supporting climate adaptation through interventions that plan for, pilot and scale nature based-solutions (NBS) to climate adaptation that contribute to enhanced biodiversity and gender equality.
- An overall assumption is that restoration and reforestation of degraded forests, both on and off farm, will be critical to supporting women and their communities to adapt to climate change challenges and will be central to protecting and restoring biodiversity in this critical global hotspot.
- The project will work in close collaboration with consortium member CECI, and with the IUCN, CIFOR-ICRAF and the University of Guelph. Key local stakeholders include local and national government bodies, regional institutions, private sector, women’s groups, and environmental organizations.
- This initiative builds on WUSC’s and CECI’s decades of experience supporting vulnerable populations and leverages the experience of a variety of local and international partners who bring a strong climate NbS lens, are fully immersed in their respective ecosystems and whose work can be accelerated by this project. This project is a timely intervention to ensure Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire and Guinée continue to effectively address climate adaptation while incorporating Nature based Solutions and strong gender lenses.
Nature and Scope:
Under the direction and supervision of the Country Finance Manager, and in close collaboration with the WUSC Finance Team, this position provides strong support in Financial Management for the implementation of the NBS Project and other WUSC projects in Ghana.
The Finance Officer will perform the following responsibilities:
- Record and maintain accurate and timely financial information in accounting records/accounting system and assist in preparation of reports to WUSC Headquarters (HQ) in a timely and reliable manner;
- Assist in the effective development, management and monitoring of annual budget for all project activities and maintaining strict control of all expenditures through performance-to-budget analysis;
Finance And Accounting Support
- Provide strong support to the Country Finance Manager in ensuring compliance with WUSC finance policies and procedures
- Review and analyze invoices and payment requests submitted for vendor payment
- Scrutinize staff travel/activity advances and liquidations for errors, adequate support documentation in compliance with WUSC policies and donor requirements.
- Provide first hand information and guidance to the program officers and volunteers on finance matters
- Management of petty cash for efficient cash flow for small office purchases and reimbursable
- Preparation of Payment Vouchers (PVs) and issuing cheques for authorisation and approval
- Maintaining an up to date register of cheques issued and dispatched
- Preparation of monthly bank reconciliations on timely basis
- Assist with procurement (in close collaboration with the Administrative Officer) for inventory and supplies in the office
- Ensure timely filing of statutory returns (PAYE/SSF) with state agencies and institutions.
- Support with timely update/recording of financial transactions into the financial system (Quicken/SAGE 50)
- Ensure adequate electronic and physical filing of financial supporting (backup) documentation
- Performing other finance duties as may be assigned from time to time
Required Skills or Experience
- Not less than three (3) years of progressive experience in financial and operations management of programs;
- Experience working with regulations governing the management of international not-for-profit organisations and donors;
- Advanced level computing knowledge including Word, Excel, G- Suite and familiarity with accounting software such as Quicken and Sage 50 Accounting;
- Must be a Ghanaian citizen resident in Ghana
- Ability to work effectively in an inter-cultural, diverse and complex work environment.
- Ability to work as part of an international team in a participatory manner;
- Ability to communicate effectively in English language – both written and orally
How To Apply For The Finance Officer At World University Service of Canada
If you wish to apply for this position, please submit an application via https://forms.gle/jNhHF8RuoQuBqLop8
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference for youth around the world. We believe youth have the potential to provide for their families, build strong communities, and create positive social change for future generations.
Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, employment and empowerment.WUSC is an equal-opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.
Job & Scholarship Alert
Get daily Job and Scholarship updates on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link above.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE