A Senior Legal Officer is needed At International Telecommunications Union.
Under the general guidance of the General Legal Counsel of the Legal Affairs Unit (JUR), the Senior Legal Officer provides sound advice and cutting edge and authoritative expertise in support to management decision-making process with a view to minimize risks of litigation, conflicts, and strategic and political problems with the membership, external partners and clients and foster a collaborative spirit and cooperation to achieve results. The Senior Legal Officer operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules and takes responsibilities towards the successful achievement of the delegated assignment. The incumbent may supervise the work of legal officer(s) and of administrative assistant(s) of the Unit in areas where he/she assumes expert responsibilities. To this end, the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Carries out studies, reviews and research; selects and analyses legal documents and precedents in order to prepare advice and opinions, studies and other documents of a legal nature, on issues of administrative, commercial, public or private law concerning the Union, and on questions of international law including, in particular, telecommunication law and intellectual property law.
- Assumes expert responsibility for:
- Policy and legal questions related to intellectual property law and policy, notably in the context of ITU’s standardization activities. Acts as the secretary to working groups dealing with these questions; represents the ITU in external meetings related to these issues, including meetings with other regional and international organizations acting in the field; provides advice on issues related to the licensing of ITU’s intellectual property.
- Legal questions related to commercial/contractual disputes, including the representation of the Unit and the Union in delicate and complex negotiations and dispute resolution procedures, the preparation of writings and/or ITU position papers for submission to judicial or quasi-judicial bodies, or, as the case may be, the oversight of external legal counsel(s) engaged by the Union to represent the Union in judicial processes related to these questions.
- Legal questions related to ITU procurement activities. In this context, examines, reviews and revises and negotiates, from the legal standpoint, draft agreements, contracts, documents, invitations to tender and other texts submitted to the Unit.
- Legal questions related to TELECOM activities, including the negotiation of legal provisions, review, approval of contracts and other agreements.
- Provides legal advice to the Bureaux and departments of the Union on complex or far-reaching issues and prepares opinions on particularly complex or sensitive questions.
- Prepares and provides interpretation of legal instruments relevant to the Union’s activities and gives legal opinions on issues related to the functions, structure and activities of the Union.
- Drafts and reviews texts for inclusion in the Union’s legal instruments such as treaty texts, internal rules and regulations and other legislative texts, or any other legal texts.
- For, during and after conferences, assemblies and meetings:
- Acts as secretary of committees and working groups dealing with legal or law-related matters, as appropriate.
- Provides advice on and settles any legal questions that may arise on such occasions.
- Provides legal assistance to the relevant departments in preparing and verifying final acts of ITU conferences.
- Provides expert advice on issues related to privileges and immunities of the ITU and of its staff members.
- Represents the JUR/Union at internal and external legal or administrative meetings, and acts as secretary of those meetings led by the JUR/Union.
- Replaces the General Legal Counsel, when he/she is absent or not available.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualification, Skills And Experience
- Advanced university degree in law with a specialization in intellectual property and telecommunications law, commercial or public/private international law or a related field OR education from a reputed college of advanced education with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of an advanced university degree in one of the fields above. For internal candidates, a first university degree in one of the fields above in combination with fifteen years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree for promotion or rotation purposes.
- At least ten years of progressively responsible and relevant experience in a law firm or legal service, including at least five at the international level. A Doctorate in a related field can be considered as a substitute for three years of working experience. Experience in handling IPR issues arising out of the development standards, as well as experience in dispute settlement and/or arbitration is required. Experience within the United Nations system would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage. (Under the provisions of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration.)
Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and pension fund deductions) in US dollars and a post adjustment (PA) (cost of living allowance). The PA is variable and subject to change without notice in accordance with the rates as set within the UN Common System for salaries and allowances.
Annual salary from $ 88,162 + post adjustment $ 72,998
How To Apply For The Position Of Senior Legal Officer At International Telecommunications Union
Closing Date: 9th May, 2022
Job & Scholarship Alert
Get daily Job and Scholarship updates on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link above.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE