Advisor – Private Sector Development & Special Economic Zones at Tony Blair Institute for Global Change.
The President and Government of Ghana have a vision of a ‘Ghana Beyond Aid’ through job creation and value addition of its natural resources. This vision was captured in the post-pandemic economic recovery plan Ghana Covid-19 Alleviation and Revitalisation of Enterprises Support (CARES)that runs to 2024 and aims to transform the economy. The Ghana CARES Programme’s key flagships include supporting commercial farming, developing the digital economy and building Ghana’s manufacturing sector. This is to provide incomes and jobs to Ghanaians, including the 300,000 youths entering the job market every year, and create value addition in Ghana through industrialization.
In support of this agenda, TBI works with the government in the strategic sectors of agro-processing, textile and garment and new technologies. We aim to support government package bankable projects in those sectors to attract private investments that will create quality jobs, and livelihoods and contribute effectively to Ghana’s growth.
To contribute to this work and to our economic and investment team, TBI is seeking a Private Sector Development Advisor with a focus on Special Economic Zones (SEZs) to be anchored in the Ministry of Trade and Industry, working closely with the Minister, Deputy Ministers, Chief Director, Directors, and other key stakeholders. The role will look at industry development and development of Special Economic Zones in Ghana, within the scope of our sectors: agro-processing, textile and garment and new technologies.
The Advisor will be part of a growing TBI team embedded in various agencies of the government of Ghana, working on investment, agriculture, digitalization and health. This is a two years fixed-term contract. We are also considering shorter-term or part-time applications from consultants, who would need to be able to spend at least 50% of their time working with MoTI physically. Please specify your availability in your application.
This is an initial 2 years fixed-term employment.
Advisor – Private Sector Development & Special Economic Zones
Policy and implementation (30%)
- Assess critical gaps in Ghana’s offering to SEZ developers and industrial tenants, and support government to identify specific reforms, investments and actions needed to fill those gaps for sectors of focus: agro-processing, textile and garment, new technologies
- Input into the development and validation of Ghana’s new SEZ policy being drafted by MoTI with support from its partners
- Support MoTI and the Ghana Free Zones Authority (GFZA) to problem-solve and coordinate the implementation of the new SEZ policy being drafted
- Investment promotion and facilitation (60%)
- Working with MoTI and sectoral teams, identify and support the development of bankable opportunities that help package Ghana’s industrial and SEZ offer for sectors of focus: agro-processing, textile and garment, new technologies
- Reach out and facilitate introductions to potential SEZ developers, financiers, industrial anchor tenants and technical partners that are relevant for investment into sectors of focus
- Ensure a strong feedback loop between those private-sector actors and government officials, facilitating investment into selected industries within the framework of the new policies
- Support follow up of discussions with SEZ and sectoral investors and input into MoTI negotiations with the industry to ensure the interests of Ghana are upheld and the framing of the SEZ policy is followed
- Additional duties (10%)
- Bespoke support and advice as relevant to the Minister and Chief Director on policies and incentives to develop new industries and attract FDI
- Maintain active dialogue with the international donor community, private sector players, local organizations, and partners, building contacts to facilitate objectives in Ghana
- Coordinate closely with other TBI advisors, especially on agriculture and textile and garment, and contribute to TBI Ghana’s objectives
- Support the Country Head, Deputy Country Head and other team members with team strategy, quarterly and annual reporting, monitoring and evaluation
We are looking for an outstanding individual with a proven track record of delivery and SEZ / industry development in the public or private sector, and with high levels of enthusiasm, resilience, and a can-do attitude
- Significant experience working on industry development, especially SEZs, either within the private sector or public sector
- Existing network in the industry within our sectors of focus, whether on the retail, brand or manufacturing side will be a strong asset
- Excellent in identifying and resolving project implementation bottlenecks with demonstrable capacity for follow through and delivering of results
- An ability to work independently, be entrepreneurial, think strategically and translate strategies into delivery plans on the ground, with emphasis on attention to details; with excellent analytical, organizational, communication and management skills
- Effective interpersonal and leadership skills. Team player with an ability to develop and foster relationships with government counterparts, with the industry and across a large organization, including with virtual teams
- Excellent writing, presentation skills and verbal communication skills. Working knowledge of French would be an added advantage
- A master’s degree in business, supply chains, finance logistics, public policy, economics, finance, engineering or other relevant fields
How To Apply for the Advisor – Private Sector Development & Special Economic Zones
Closing Date: 20th May. 2022
You might be interested in:
Job & Scholarship Alert
Get daily Job and Scholarship updates on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link above.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE