Textile and Garment Senior Advisor at Tony Blair Institute for Global Change.
The President and Government of Ghana have a vision of a ‘Ghana Beyond Aid’ through job creation and value addition of its natural resources. This vision was captured in the post-pandemic economic recovery plan Ghana Covid-19 Alleviation and Revitalisation of Enterprises Support (CARES)that runs to 2024 and aims to transform the economy. The Ghana CARES Programme’s key flagships include supporting commercial farming, developing the digital economy and build Ghana’s manufacturing sector. This is to provide incomes and jobs to Ghanaians, including the 300,000 youths entering the job market every year, and create value addition in Ghana through industrialization.
In support of this agenda, TBI works with the government in the strategic sectors of agro-processing, textile and garment and new technologies. We aim to support government package bankable projects in those sectors to attract private investments that will create quality jobs, and livelihoods and contribute effectively to Ghana’s growth. To contribute to our economic and investment team, TBI is seeking a Textile and Garment (T&G) Senior Advisor to be based in the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MOTI), working closely with the Minister, Deputy Ministers, Chief Director, Directors, and other key stakeholders to implement priority initiatives in the sector.
The role will focus on the development of the T&G industry in Ghana. MoTI is working with partners to develop a T&G policy that will give the vision for the sector in Ghana and frame discussions with investors as well as partners.
The Advisor will be part of a growing TBI team embedded in various agencies of the government of Ghana, working on investment, agriculture, digitalization and health. This is an initial, renewable fixed term role of one year and can be negotiated for 2 years for the right profile. We are also considering shorter-term or part-time applications from consultants, who would need to be able to spend at least 50% of their time working with MoTI physically. Please specify your availability in your application.
This is an initial 12 months of fixed-term employment.
Textile and Garment Senior Advisor at Tony Blair Institute for Global Change
Policy and implementation (30%)
- Consolidate information on the current situation, the potential / opportunities, and the key challenges for the global T&G industry
- Assess critical gaps in Ghana’s offering to the T&G industry and support the government to identify specific reforms, investments and actions needed to fill those gaps
- Input into the development and validation of Ghana’s new T&G policy being drafted by MoTI with support from its partners
- Support government to problem-solve and coordinate the implementation of the new T&G policy being drafted
- Investment promotion and facilitation (60%)
- Identify and support the development of bankable opportunities that help package Ghana’s T&G offer to investors, exploring Special Economic Zones (SEZs) and industrial parks in particular
- Reach out to potential strategic investors to promote T&G in Ghana, facilitating introductions to buyers, manufacturers and other strategic partners
- Ensure a strong feedback loop between the industry and government officials, facilitating the development of investment within the framework of Ghana’s T&G policy
- Support follow up of discussions with investors and input into MoTI negotiations with the industry to ensure the interests of Ghana are upheld and the framing of the T&G policy is followed
Additional duties (10%)
- Bespoke support and advice as relevant to the Minister and Chief Director on policies and incentives to develop new industries and attract FDI, even outside T&G
- Coordinate closely with other TBI advisors and contribute to TBI Ghana’s objectives
- Support the Country Head, Deputy Country Head and other team members with team strategy, quarterly and annual reporting, monitoring and evaluation
We are looking for an outstanding individual with a proven track record of delivery and T&G industry development in the public or private sectors
- Significant experience working in the global fashion industry, textile manufacturing, garment manufacturing, supply chain sourcing, retailing, or in economic development, industrialization or investment promotion in emerging markets, especially in Africa and/or similar contexts
- Existing strong network in the global T&G industry, whether on the retail, brand or manufacturing side
- Experience facilitating or working with companies to set up factories to manufacture for export and/or exposure to industrial parks and SEZs in emerging markets will be an asset
- Excellence in identifying and resolving project implementation bottlenecks with demonstrable capacity for follow through and delivering of results
- An ability to work independently, be entrepreneurial, think strategically and translate strategies into delivery plans on the ground, with emphasis on attention to detail; with excellent analytical, organizational, communication and management skills
- Effective interpersonal and leadership skills. Team player with an ability to develop and foster relationships with government counterparts, with the industry and across a large organization, including with virtual teams
- Excellent writing, presentation skills and verbal communication skills. Working knowledge of French would be an added advantage
- A master’s degree in business, supply chains, logistics, public policy, economics, finance, engineering or other relevant fields
How To Apply for the Textile and Garment Senior Advisor at Tony Blair Institute for Global Change
Closing Date: 20th May. 2022
You might also be interested in:
- Latest Job Opening At Barry Callebaut Group
- Zipline Job Vacancy For May 2022
- Employment Opportunity at Abt Associates
- Newmont Mining Corporation: Job Applications, May 2022
Job & Scholarship Alert
Get daily Job and Scholarship updates on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link above.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE