GhNewsBanQ presents a list of scholarships for university students in Ghana. This article provides details of each scholarship, including the requirements and eligibility, the benefits, and how to apply
Numerous organisations award scholarships to bright but underprivileged Ghanaians. The majority of these scholarships are awarded annually. Scholarship criteria and benefits differ from one organisation to the next.
These organisations award scholarships in virtually all academic fields and at almost all academic levels. You can submit as many scholarship applications as you like, but some organisations won’t accept them if you have already received a scholarship.
List of scholarships For University Students in Ghana
Here is the list of scholarships available to university students in Ghana.
1. GETFund Local Scholarship For Undergraduates and Postgraduates
The Ghana Education Trust Fund (GETFund) is a public trust established in 2000 by an Act of Parliament. Its primary mission is to augment government efforts to provide educational infrastructure and facilities in the public sector from pre-tertiary to tertiary levels.
This scholarship is open to both undergraduate and postgraduate students. Ghanaian students pursuing a diploma, a higher national diploma (HND), a degree, or a master’s degree in any public tertiary institution in the country are eligible to apply.
Who Qualify to Apply For GETFund Scholarship?
Every Ghanaian citizen who meets the eligibility requirements.
2. KNUST Kingdom Books and Stationery Bursary
The KNUST Kingdom Books and Stationery Bursary was established to help people learn more about science and technology, as well as to stimulate research, good teaching, and business training.
Kingdom Books and Stationery provides financial aid to deserving but underprivileged Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology students through the Kingdom Books Bursary Scheme.
Only pupils who have performed well in school and are deemed deserving of it are offered this scholarship.
50 university students will be selected to receive the bursary, which is awarded once a year.
Benefits of the Scholarship
The scholarship, which is only given to 50 students each year, is given out as follows:
- 40% of Books and Paper Goods
- 60% is for user fees for Academy facilities (AFUF)
3. GNPC Scholarships
The Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC) is offering limited Undergraduate scholarships, through the GNPC Foundation, to prospective Ghanaian students for the 2022/2023 academic year. The scholarship is for degree courses and is tenable at accredited public tertiary Institutions in Ghana. The scholarship covers Tuition, Living Expenses, Book Allowance and Dissertation/Project Allowance.
General Requirements of GNPC Scholarship
- Be Ghanaian,
- Have obtained admission to undertake an Undergraduate or Postgraduate Degree Program at a local public tertiary Institution at the time of application.
4. Brighter Investment Scholarship
The Brighter Investment Scholarship is open to all nationalities, both freshmen and continuing students.
If you’re a bright student with ambitious career plans, you just need a bit of help to get your degree, diploma, or certificate. Start the application today to have your education fully financed and benefit from our mentorship program.
If you are chosen for our program, Brighter Investment Scholarship will pay your tuition and housing costs for the rest of your education as long as you maintain good grades. You’ll also receive a monthly stipend for books and living expenses.
Repayments only start when you get a job and are based on your future income. Your future is bright!
5. Mastercard Foundation Scholarship
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at KNUST provides academically gifted but economically disadvantaged young people in Ghana and Africa with access to high-quality university education. The programme provides its scholars with the opportunity to receive holistic training that will equip them to be change leaders.
The Scholars Program encompasses a variety of services, such as mentorship and cultural transition, that will lead to the scholar’s academic success, community engagement, and transition to employment opportunities, furthering the goal of social and economic transformation in Africa.
The Scholarship Benefits:
- Comprehensive financial support (full tuition, fully paid on-campus accommodation, learning materials, transportation and monthly stipend).
- Counselling Support Services
- Career Development Services (including Industrial Mentorship, Career Guidance, Professional Development, Enterprise Development amongst others)
- Regular group meetings with other scholars that focus on personal and professional development opportunities and activities tailored to build societal relationships and scholars’ capacity.
- Continued academic support through academic mentoring, virtual learning and tutoring.
- Opportunities to participate in leadership congresses, community services and mentoring (Go-back Give- Back),
- Uniquely sourced internships with industry for Professional development.
- The prestige of becoming part of and network with the growing family of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Alumni and the Global Scholars Community.
6. Kufuor Scholars Program ( KSP )
The Scholars Program is a project of the Foundation of former President John A. Kufuor. The initiative provides a three-year transformational leadership training curriculum for African youth.
The program targets Ghanaian university students in Level 100. The KSP aims to enhance formal education in order to generate leaders with a strong sense of patriotism who are also innovative, problem-solving, creative, and informed in their particular fields of endeavor.
To be considered for this program, applicants must have the following requirements:
- Applicants must hold Ghanaian citizenship.
- Candidates must be first-year students in a Ghanaian university
- Students of all academic disciplines are welcome to apply
Over the course of three years, the Scholar would enjoy the following:
- Semester stipends and a branded laptop.
- Opportunity to take part in exchange programs.
- Leadership coaching, camps, tours, lectures, webinars, and internships.
7. The Student Loan Trust Fund
The Student Loan Trust Fund is a well-known organisation that provides financial resources to deserving students in order to relieve them of financial burdens during their academic journey.
It is a public institution established under the Trustee Incorporation Act 1962, Act 106 to provide financial resources for the benefit of students and to promote and facilitate the national ideals as enshrined in Articles 25 and 38 of the 1992 Constitution. It is to replace the SSNIT Students Loan Scheme. The Students Loan Trust Fund Act 2011, Act 820 has been passed by Parliament.
Students Loan Trust Fund (SLTF) Eligibility/Requirements
To apply for a loan at SLTF, an applicant must;
- First be a Ghanaian.
- Must have been offered admission to study an accredited tertiary programme in Ghana.
- Must be pursuing tertiary programme such as a diploma or 1st degree.
- Must have a valid Ghana Card Number (can be acquired at designated GRA offices for free)
- Must have an active registered Mobile Phone Number
- Must have a valid Email Address
- Must have a Student ID card or admission letter
8. MTN Ghana Foundation Bright Scholarship
The MTN scholarship foundation has been offering various sponsorship programs to thousands of outstanding students across Africa for nearly two decades. The Foundation’s main aim is to build a large community that influences and supports national and worldwide development initiatives. It promotes collaboration and resource sharing in order to achieve common goals.
The scholarship is for first-year undergraduates and continuing education students at any Ghanaian public higher education institution. The Applicant must be pursuing any course of choice
The MTN Ghana Scholarship covers;
- the cost of Tuition
- Research devices
- Stipend for reading materials.
9. MR. EAZI STUDENTS FUND
Mr. Oluwatosin Ajibade, known in showbiz cycles as Mr. Eazi has instituted a scholarship scheme to support needy students at the C. K. Tedam University of Technology & Applied Sciences (CKT-UTAS).
The Award is expected to cover the full fees of 100 students each year. To do this, Mr. Eazi has made available Two Hundred Thousand Ghana Cedis (GHS200,000.00)
Read Also: List of scholarships in USA
You should take note that most of the scholarships are by merit and highly competitive, so your application should be strong. Make use of the recommended articles above.
Some of these scholarships only last a year, and the majority are exclusively available to students at public universities in Ghana.
We write articles like this because of you. Please help us out by sharing this article with your friends.
Job & Scholarship Alert
Get daily Job and Scholarship updates on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link above.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE